Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Female vs. Male Chess Players


  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #41

    Nicholas_Shannon80

    You could make the same analysis with americans... Why are american players not contending for the world championships anymore- male or female?

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #42

    soothsayer8

    FonzMcBride wrote:

     

     

    Excellent topic, very interesting , it is high time someone asked this question for the 50th time. I can’t wait not to have any answer ,again ,after 400  replies.

    It's funny, I've been on chess.com for over three years, and I've never seen this thread before.

    Then again, I wasn't very active on the forums for most of that time. Also, I probably should have guessed.

    I think the best answer is: it's just numbers. If as many women played as men, we'd have nearly equal number of men and women Super GMs. There may be some other factors; It's true that men's IQ scores are more spread out than those of women--more at the bottom of the spectrum, more at the top, fewer in the middle. But there are flaws in IQ assesment; those tests were probably designed mostly by men, for one. It's probably true that men tend to be more obsessive with hobbies such as chess, though I haven't seen a lot of research to back that up.

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #43

    soothsayer8

    RisingGrounds wrote:
    RisingGrounds wrote:
    theheatison wrote:

    2600  man vs 2600 woman. Mmmmm   would have to see the rating ! haha.

    Go one better. 2600 Core i7 Using Houdini3 ? - Flawless.

    Go one better. * ELO - Jesus Christ - Perfect.

    Go one better. ELO - Mr. Blue Sky - Epic.

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #44

    sftac

    Do fewer women play chess then men?  Of course.  How much is the difference?  I think it fair to estimate there are 200 men for every women, that plays chess.

    sftac

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #45

    clms_chess

    Savage wrote:

    "I think the best answer is: it's just numbers. If as many women played as men, we'd have nearly equal number of men and women Super GMs."

     You're starting the story from the middle, as though it's just divinely pre-ordained that fewer women play and there couldn't be some reason for that.The way the politically-correct castrati and feminist grievance-mongers go on, you might think it's impossible that some groups are simply better than others at certain things.

    I agree (in the blue statement) ... from experience.... check my earlier post on this thread. :)

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #46

    soothsayer8

    Savage wrote:

    "I think the best answer is: it's just numbers. If as many women played as men, we'd have nearly equal number of men and women Super GMs."

     

    You're starting the story from the middle, as though it's just divinely pre-ordained that fewer women play and there couldn't be some reason for that.

    I'm fully aware there's a reason for it. I didn't think it necessary to launch into a full thesis about it.

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #47

    clms_chess

    sftac wrote:

    Do fewer women play chess then men?  Of course.  How much is the difference?  I think it fair to estimate there are 200 men for every women, that plays chess.

    sftac

    At the scholastic level in the US... its about 8 boys for every 1 girl that plays. The ratio is closer to even during the elementary years (4:1)... but begins to widen through middle school (my experience 8:1) and even more so in high school.

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #48

    TKACHS

    Men = Hunters   /   Women = Gatherers

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #49

    Nicholas_Shannon80

    I have yet to play a female OTB.

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #50

    daddyjesus

    TKACHS wrote:

    Men = Hunters   /   Women = Gatherers

    and you a faggot

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #51

    BishopCannons

      Dogs play chess?

  • 15 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #52

    TKACHS

     IRON +male = FEmale!?

  • 13 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #53

    brownpaste

    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • 13 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #54

    Ziryab

    Jonesey1111 wrote:

    Male chess players are - as a general rule - not uh... impressive socially.  Look around at any OTB tournament.  You're not looking at the cream of the crop of the male gender.  Just the opposite is true.  So in effect you'd be asking women to immerse themselves socially into a substandard vat of mediocrity  (myself and you, dear reader, excluded of course).  Now, maybe they'll do it anyway because they just love the game of chess SOOO much that they don't care about the teeming legions of unwanted males sorrounding them.  If so, great!  To say that women are "welcome" to join into the chess community would be a collosal understatement.  If hordes of women started showing up at OTB tournaments and getting into chess, the old guard would be beside themselves with joy.

    Unfortunately, women are very rare at tournaments (and chess clubs).  As a result, from what I have seen personally, males at tournaments seize on the slightest pretext to jump into a conversation with a woman.  And who can blame them?  After all they rarely SEE an actual woman in their normal lives.  Why not show some enthusiasm in talking with them?

    If you want to help reverse this sad state of affairs, here's what you can do.  Stop blathering on about genetics, testosterone, and other kooky theories.  Instead, take a shower, comb your hair, and SHAVE for chrissakes.  And while a tie sure isn't needed, try to wear something better than your bowling shirt to the tournament.  These initial steps will do more to overcome this problem than a thousand blog posts about genetics and upbringing.

    But, if I shave before a tournament I could give in to draw offers from weaker players, or worse, lose. I never shave the day of competition; it is bad luck.

  • 6 hónap ezelőtt · Idézet · #55

    GrandPixel

    The difference in numbers is only a reflection of the natural ability and desire to do something that requires strategy. Yes, if an equal number of women played chess, there would naturally be more women in the charts than there are now, but it would still be predominately men.

    Men and women are just created differently, equal but different. I mean, you can have a dollar bill on one side, and a hundred pennies on the other. Both are equal in value, but they have different qualities.

    You build a bridge using pillars and a deck. Which is more important, the pillars or the deck? The point is, both are necessary, but each is better at something than the other. Lots of harmony in creation...

  • 6 hét ezelőtt · Idézet · #56

    deafdrummer

    How about this?  That women for the most part are naturally more cooperative, and men are more competitive?  It could be argued as to whether that is based on natural characteristics or learned social behavior, but as a transwoman, I have lived both sides of the divide, so I speak with some authority on activity-selection tendencies.

    As a male, I got into the ball games, hunting, driving fast, because it was the thing to do.  When I transitioned to be female, those fake tendencies went away, and I was able to allow myself to be more of a cooperative nature.  After crossing the divide and living my "second life" for a long time, I feel that women are less likely to play chess because it is an activity that involves 1) shying away from eye contact, because this can give you away to your opponent, 2) minimizing what you say or share with your opponent, 3) only "being together," not togetherness in a cooperative manner, 4) creating an adversive environment, and 5) blinding you to a person's finer qualities as a person in a social setting.  It feels odd, very odd to have to experience this, even when playing against the computer.  I do not like the negative feelings I get in this adversive environment, the drive to defeat or destroy this person.  This blocks the very characteristics NEEDED to prevent this world from going up in smoke. 

    I took up Chess again because I want to play Piece, or Cooperative Chess, because I want to have a game that helps to build healthy eye contact, accurate communications with your game partner (saying what you really mean), collaborative skills in reaching a goal (the give and take that comes with learning together as friends or as a couple), a warm environment (where one doesn't have to be defensive and on guard, unable to trust the other person), and teaching you to learn about your game partner's finer qualities as a person.  No wonder most of the male chest players are just DYING to talk to female chess players, because there are NO WOMEN in their own lives.  They don't have the skills and/or the inclination to do the things that "win the hearts" of the women trained to be wooed in that manner.

    This is why I brought up the thread on Cooperative Chess, because it is time to leave behind the tactics and qualities that will not serve us nor save us in the long run.  Long past it.

  • 5 hét ezelőtt · Idézet · #57

    batgirl

    soothsayer8 wrote:
    FonzMcBride wrote:

     

     

    Excellent topic, very interesting , it is high time someone asked this question for the 50th time. I can’t wait not to have any answer ,again ,after 400  replies.

    It's funny, I've been on chess.com for over three years, and I've never seen this thread before.


    Well, here are some - either directly or passive-aggressively - that addressed this same topic or devolved into the same discussion:

    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/men-vs-women-in-chess
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/menswomens-chess--why
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-buzz/why-is-there-a-womens-world-championship
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-players/why-are-women-worse-at-chess-than-men
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/are-female-chess-players-weaker
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/why-do-we-have-woman-categories
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/why-a-women-chess-championship
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/why-are-men-better-than-women
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/the-real-reason-so-few-women-play-professional-chess
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/women-and-chess2
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/ruth-haring-girls-are-bad-at-chess
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/explaining-male-predominance-in-chess
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/help-support/why-are-there-so-less-female-chess-players
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/can-a-women-ever-become-world-chess-champion
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/are-men-better-than-women
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/men-vs-women2
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/why-is-this-game-so-male-dominated
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/men-vs-women
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/girls-and-chess
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/gender-and-chess
    http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/male-vs-female-players


Ugrás az elejére

Válasz elküldése: